Let me respond my way, construct my theme
From particles of a different dream,
Be it illusion as well it may.
I would sooner hope and believe
Than dig for my living life a present grave.
...
- I still will sing with credence and with passion
In a new fashion
That I will believe in April while I live.
I will believe in Spring,
That custom of the year, so frail, so brave,
Custom without a loss of mystery.

Vita Sackville-West, The Garden, 1946

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Swiss Chard Recipes

It's Swiss Chard season again!  Actually Swiss Chard is much more than a season.  If I did everything right (which is unlikely) I'd probably have Chard for about 9 months of the year.

Of course, along with the start of the growing season comes the annual "What do we do with all this chard?" problem.  I probably need a few more recipes queued up.

  1. Swiss Chard with Olive Oil and Garlic: Big pot with a tight fitting lid, olive oil in the bottom, chopped garlic, add chopped chard stems, chiffonade and add leaves, close lid, cook on high heat until it steams/sautes/braises.
  2. Swiss Chard and Red Lentil Curry: Found on the internet somewhere, a nice spicy curry with red lentils, swiss chard, and chick peas.  Serve over rice.
  3. Swiss Chard Enchiladas: Recipe from Fran McDaniel, my photocopy looks torn from a newspaper.  One pot: cook chopped chard. Second pot: make a roux, melt in cheddar cheese. Mix the two together, roll inside a tortilla, put in a baking dish, cover with sauce, bake for 25 minutes at 375.  The original recipe said cover with salsa, but I use Green Enchilada Sauce and I put a pinch of red pepper in my roux.


I've got a new recipe for Swiss Chard and Lentil Soup (ok, I've got 4 or 5 recipes and I'm going to make one out of them) that I haven't tried yet.  It seems hard to make a soup like that when the temperature is above 80...
The other reason I grow Swiss Chard is because it is so lovely to look at.  I'm really thrilled with the beauty of the leaves and stems.  I wandered all over my garden the other morning taking closeup shots of  vegetables and the chard ones were dramatic and lush.  The red kale looks good too, but that's for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment